Sunday, February 7, 2016

Bossypants by Tina Fey: The Audio Book

I am a big fan of Tina Fey, but it's taken me a few years to finally get around to Bossypants.  I am glad I waited to listen to the audio (on a trip to Wisconsin a few weeks ago) because having Tina Fey tell her story, complete with music and quirky side comments made it all worth while.  I just wished it had been longer!

Tina is someone a lot of women can identify with:  she was an awkward kid, went through the horrible "shag" haircut phase (for me, it was 1975, immediately followed by a failed Dorothy Hamill hair phase after the 1976 Olympics), wasn't very popular in high school, and was a geek at a time when being a geek wasn't so cool.  There was a smart, hilarious, tough woman waiting to come out, and when it did we got to know and love her.  

Tina's book is about her life, from early days spending time at a theater camp, to working in a YMCA as a desk assistant in Chicago, and traveling around with the Second City troupe developing her improv skills and comedic timing.  What I like about Tina is that even though she had many intimidating experiences, she kept powering through and remained open to opportunities.  

Tina also speaks to the idea of a woman being "the boss", and how tough it can be to take on that role even while knowing how competent and kick-ass you will be as the bossypants. 

I wholeheartedly recommend Bossypants as an audio.  My drive to and from Wisconsin flew by listening to her, and she made me laugh out loud many times.  I now have to make time to watch 30 Rock.  Yes, I must confess I've never watched the show.  I think watching it now after listening to Bossypants will make me feel like I've got inside information on Tina Fey.  

Rating:  8/10 for an audio book that was a pleasure to listen to, thanks to Tina Fey and her wonderful narration.  So funny and talented.  

Available in paperback, ebook, and audio.  Listen to the audio if you can!




from Bookalicious Babe Book Reviews http://ift.tt/1TMufaf

No comments:

Post a Comment