Sunday, November 25, 2018

Rockstar or Not a Rockstar?

Last week I shared out the following tweet:

#ThoughtForThe Day: Labeling some staff as model teachers, rockstars, etc. can work against us. After all, what message does that send to the rest of our team? Let’s expect every teacher to be a model teacher & elevate & support all staff to rockstar status… via Culturize.

First, let me begin by saying that I never professed to have any answers when it comes to education, but I certainly have my own opinions, and those opinions are based on twenty-six years of experience as an educator.  Having said that, I believe we are all evolving in this profession, regardless of what our role expects of us. I am always intrigued by the responses a simple thought for the day can elicit, but I also appreciate the comments and the discussion that can sometimes follow a simple thought by others who are just as invested as I am, and quite frankly, in many cases, have more experience and more wisdom than I do. One of the truths of microblogging is that you are limited in your thoughts and words in one tweet, but it’s also one of the things I appreciate most about Twitter. Often I just want a taste, not an appetizer or a full course meal. So today, I am going to try and offer you an appetizer (blog) rather than a full course meal (book) on this topic of labeling our staff as model teachers and/or rockstars, knowing full well how many different ways this conversation could go if we decided to write a book on it.

I stand by my original thought and comment (and again, not professing that I am right), that labeling some staff as rockstars can work against us, especially if we aim to cultivate a culture where everyone in the organization feels valued and appreciated and sees themselves as a “model teacher.” I often wonder, “Should we not expect that level of performance across the board?” “What we expect of some staff, shouldn’t we expect of all staff?” “What message do we send when our expectations are not consistent and clear, when what we expect of one staff member is not the same of what we expect of another?” Or moreover, “What support systems are we putting in place where everyone is receiving high quality coaching, guidance, resources and the time to not only get better, but aspire to be better for kids, for their colleagues and for themselves?” If we are providing such support, I think it is not only reasonable, but should be expected of all staff to strive for model teacher or rock star status every day, knowing we are not superhuman or anywhere near perfect. Whatever our best is on any given day, we should bring that to the classroom, school offices, library, stage and athletic fields.

However, here we are today with some staff still shying away from or reluctant to having this label bestowed upon them, even though it is meant as the highest of compliments.

I share this thought based on my own personal experience as an administrator who on occasion “labeled” some of my staff in this way and from others who have shared their personal stories with me on how this label, although shared as a sincere compliment, had a detrimental effect on them. They shared how this rockstar comment was followed by resentment, jealously and “digs” made about or towards them by others in the very moment they were being recognized for their skill set, high performance, or successful outcome by their supervisors, and then in the next moment, ostracized by their own peers.  I recall in the past six month’s private conversations with at least four teacher or administrator of the year recipients telling me about their personal experiences of having been recognized for such an award. On the one hand they had this immense sense of pride for being recognized for their efforts and yet, at the same time, being treated differently by their peers. This caused serious consternation due to the negative response shown to them by some of their colleagues regarding these recognitions after others had labeled them as rockstars among the staff. These responses they experienced were real and rather than lift them up, created a cloud of shame and guilt that lingered over them because in some regards, they felt they had made their peers look bad by striving to bring their best to their students and/or school community.

After I posted the above tweet, I received several comments that got me thinking even more about this topic and who I personally want to thank for taking time to respond and for pushing my thinking. You make me want to continue to want to be better for others, and for myself as well.

“Sometime the investment made by “rock star teachers” isn’t realistic or sustainable for the vast majority of teachers.” – Bill Ferriter @plugusin

“On the other hand, being that teacher that is a “rock star” can be very stressful. I feel like I am constantly being scrutinized and I wonder what will happen when/if I don’t meet the expectations for me. We need to find a balance.” – MadnessInTheMiddle @twhite1489

“I believe we all have potential for rock star moments, not necessarily a rock star career. Spotlight the positives when they happen, but always look for those whose shining moments others might overlook.” – Tamara Letter @tamaraletter

Wherever you are in your thoughts around this topic, I hope that we can continue to cultivate school cultures where all staff can feel proud of their accomplishments, regardless of how big or how small. Where we all can be celebrated and honored for striving to do what we expect kids to do every day…to bring their very best so they all can experience that moment where they too can feel validated by their supervisors and peers in a positive way for their efforts, regardless of what we call it.

 

 

 

 

 



from Connected Principals https://ift.tt/2TGzbSJ

No comments:

Post a Comment