Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Rethinking Balance

“Balance is stupid.”
George Couros, primarily from 2007-2017

That was me.

Maybe I didn’t say it exactly that way, but I was thinking it.

For me, to be successful, you had to live a reasonably unbalanced life.  I listened to the Grant Cardone’s of the world who focused on the importance of being “obsessed” to become successful at what you do.

Eventually that “obsession,” no matter how passionate I became led to struggles with physical and mental health.  I didn’t see myself when I looked in the mirror anymore. I was always tired and couldn’t do things that I used to be able to do.

I started to rethink the notion of “balance.” I started focusing more on my health, spent less time on social media, cut out as much negativity as possible and concentrate on people that would lift me up. I Did more to be present when I was home. I do things for fun that are solely to have fun. I said “no” to others more and said “yes” to myself.

I didn’t snicker when people would say, “It’s all about balance.”

Part of the way I see balance now is that it leads to better work and a better life. I don’t necessarily have to sacrifice one for the other. I have more energy. I’m more grateful. I am more focused where I am when I am there. I am more empathetic. I still have room to grow, but I look at the word “balance” differently.  I like this quote:

I don’t know if I am right but I know thinking differently about the word is right for me at this time.  This space is to show learning and growth, and here my shift right now is that I used to think “A” and now I think “B.” If I am going to preach the importance of embracing “change and growth” I should be able to share my development in both of these areas.

I still struggle with the world balance and maybe I am not good at doing it compared to others, but I think differently about the meaning and its importance.

Revised quote :

“Balance isn’t such a bad thing.”
George Couros, 2018 – Until I change my mind again.



from Connected Principals https://ift.tt/2D4MxC6

No comments:

Post a Comment