Thursday, February 22, 2018

The Critic in Your Head

Dear George,

Read this quote:

I have always loved this quote and sometimes, I read it to feel empowered or to move on from tough situations.

Recently though, I have started to look at it differently.

What if the “critic” that is being referred to is me? What if the loudest voice of criticism is in my head, to the point where the “critic” wins the argument against the person trying to get in the arena?

Many people that we aspire to be like are waging this battle all of the time, whether we know it or not.  We see them as “high achievers,” but they are struggling with that battle, and when they show vulnerability in their struggle, we see ourselves in their process.

From Brene Brown:

“Vulnerability is the last thing I want you to see in me, but the first thing I look for in you.”

Dealing with the critic in your head is okay. It happens to all of us. But when we try something new (or even consider it), identify that the critic in your head could be the same person that is holding you back from getting into the arena in the first place.  We wouldn’t give that power to someone else, so push against those self-criticisms that do not allow us to become what we are meant to be.

Your Friend,
George



from Connected Principals http://ift.tt/2oq89A1

No comments:

Post a Comment