Sunday, February 18, 2018

Always Err on the Side of Positive

From the beginning of my teaching career, I remember trying to go out during recess and playing basketball with kids, because I was passionate about the sport, and that meant something to the students.  Not only did this boost my confidence as I grew older that I could still score on 12-year-olds on the playground, it was also a great way to connect with both students I taught and didn’t teach that year.

I have a personal policy that if I was to pass a student or an adult in the hallway, I would always acknowledge them in some way positive.  A little “hello” or positive comment to someone could significantly improve their day, whether you know it or not.  I know that when I go to the gym and get a friendly hello or acknowledgment from someone working at the counter when I check in, it can improve my mood and change my workout, and sometimes, my entire day.

There is a lot of bad stuff in our world. Maybe there is more than there has ever been, perhaps we are just more aware of it, or maybe it is both  I don’t know. What I do know is that a subtle positive interaction with a student (or adult) walking in the hallway could be a pebble in the ocean that eventually changes the tide for that child.

Or maybe it doesn’t.

I also know that no matter how many times I acknowledge someone positively, I never run out of opportunities to do it again.

The safest bet is to always err on the side of positive.  Small interactions can make a massive difference.



from Connected Principals http://ift.tt/2ofTwiy

No comments:

Post a Comment