Sunday, January 27, 2019

Thoughtfulness To Further Growth

Some things I have been thinking about…

  1. Sometimes being “thoughtful” is used as a stall tactic not to move forward or grow.  We should be thoughtful of all the decisions that we make (obviously), but that thoughtfulness should be focused in the movement forward. This image created by Demetri Martin shows “success” as not only messy, with ups and downs, but always on an upward trajectory.
  2. Ownership is crucial for empowerment. There is no “empowerment” in learning without either a) ownership of the process, b) ownership of the product or c) a combination of both.
  3. When we promote students (and others) to “share their voice” we have to be cognizant that this means “their voice” not “our voice” shared through them.  There’s a difference.
  4. I have spent more time sharing my own faults and struggles as an educator. As I grow, I know helping others means that it is okay to point fingers at my faults. It creates massive insecurity (that can often be overwhelming), but I feel that pointing flaws in yourself is much more helpful to leading than identifying the past and present limitations in others. I struggle with this but I like this quote:

    “Vulnerability sounds like truth and feels like courage. Truth and courage aren’t always comfortable, but they’re never weakness.” Brene Brown

With the last point being shared, I am struggling with a lot of my thoughts on education lately.  I don’t say that in a negative way either. This internal struggle with a lot of ideas is something that I think is good for any educator and is part of the process of authentic learning.



from Connected Principals http://bit.ly/2UivIJj

No comments:

Post a Comment