Thursday, January 25, 2018

The Work Behind the Work

Currently, I am training for a half-marathon race.  I don’t have a particular race in mind, but I am training for one.  As someone who has run marathons before, a half-marathon is daunting, but I also know that it is doable for my current health goals.

When I was asked what race I was going to do on Instagram, I simply said that my goal was to do the training.  The ability to finish a marathon is an accomplishment, and when I used to do it, people would say, “That is so impressive that you finished a marathon!”  My response was that the marathon was easy, it was the training that was hard.  If you properly train, the dedication and consistency to work hard when you don’t want to can be mind-numbing. Excellence is created from a formula; consistency plus high-quality effort over time.

That thing you see someone else doing is just a glimpse into that day, not the hours behind it to get to that point.

I have always loved this quote:

I don’t know if “20 years” is accurate, but that person you see in the gym that is incredibly fit didn’t just show up that way. An effort was not only given to doing things that were hard but also in not doing things that were hard.  This goes for many other things in our life as well.

If you see someone and you admire what they are doing, ask them what it took to get there.  Then ask yourself if you are willing to do the work to get where you want to be when no one is watching.

The work behind the work is often the hardest part of success.

Source: George Couros



from Connected Principals http://ift.tt/2naGovC

No comments:

Post a Comment