Monday, November 21, 2016

The Mantra of An Innovative Educator (Video)

In my book, “The Innovator’s Mindset“, I shared “The Mantra of an Innovative Educator”.  Here is what I wrote:

I am an educator.

I am an innovator.

I am an innovative educator and I will continue to ask: “What is best for learners?” With this empathetic approach, I will create and design learning experiences with that question as a starting point.

I believe that my abilities, intelligence, and talents can be developed, leading to the creation of new and better ideas.

I recognize that there are obstacles in education, but as an innovator, I will focus on what is possible today and where I can push to lead towards tomorrow.

I will utilize the tools that are available to me today and I will continue to search for new and better ways to continuously grow, develop and share my thinking, while creating and connecting my learning.

I focus not only on where I can improve, but where I am already strong, and I look to develop those strengths in myself and in others.

I build upon what I already know, but I do not limit myself. I’m open to and willing to embrace new learning, while continuously asking questions that help me move forward.

I question thinking, challenge ideas, and do not accept “this is the way we have always done it” as an acceptable answer for our students or myself.

I model the learning and leadership I seek in others. I take risks and try new things to develop and explore new opportunities. I ask others to take risks in their learning, and I openly model that I’m willing to do the same.

I believe that isolation is the enemy of innovation, and I will learn from others to create better learning opportunities for others and myself.

I connect with others both locally and globally to tap into ideas from all people and spaces. I will use those ideas along with my professional judgement, to adapt the ideas to meet the needs of the learners in my community.

I believe in my voice and experiences, as well as the voice and experiences of others, as they are important for moving education forward.

I share because the learning I create and the experiences I have help others. I share to push my own thinking, and to make an impact on learners, both young and old, all over the world.

I listen and learn from different perspectives, because I know we are much better together than we could ever be alone. I can learn from anyone and any situation.

I actively reflect on my learning, as I know looking back is crucial to moving forward.

Recently, Medford School District in Oregon, shared their take on the “mantra”, by having students and staff, share their own creation.  Check it out below:

As I wrote in the book, “If we all embrace this mindset, imagine what education could become.” Although I believe it will take time, as long as we are willing to move forward, and focusing not only embracing change, but creating it, the opportunities are endless.

Thank you Medford School District for putting this video together.  It was powerful to see your students and staff sharing together.

screen-shot-2015-10-01-at-12-38-19-pm



from Connected Principals http://ift.tt/2gbVTB3

No comments:

Post a Comment