Saturday, October 15, 2016

“Blogging is your job.”

“We do not learn from experience… we learn from reflecting on experience.” John Dewey

In a conversation with a principal yesterday, she asked me how I keep up with blogging.  I then proceeded to ask her if her door is “always open”, to which she replied “yes”. My response? You have to close it sometimes.  Reflection is a crucial part of the work that we do, and without looking back, it is almost impossible to move forward.  Ultimately, I told her, “blogging is your job.”

When you look at it as an extra, it will not likely get done. When you see it as part of your job, it will get it done.

Make appointments with yourself.  Keep them.  Fight through writers block. Take time to reflect.

People may ask, “Why do you have to blog? Why not just reflect?”  When you reflect on your own, you are accountable to yourself. When you blog, you are accountable to yourself and others.  Others need to hear your voice.

Adam Schoenbart writes about dealing with writer’s block, and how he deals with, by also sharing ideas for upcoming posts.

There’s not too much rhyme or reason to what I write about when beyond passion and inspiration. Sometimes a topic will be timely and will take precedence. Often, my teaching or coaching work will inspire new ideas. I try to only write about the things that I’m excited about and to turn my passions into reflective pieces and learning opportunities, both for myself and for others.

Coming up on the list right now, there’s:

  • How I Made the New School Year Fun: Reigniting My Love of the Classroom
  • Coaching Reflections: How I Want to Be a Better Coach
  • What If?: Exploring My Admin Internship and Problem Solving
  • Perusing Pear Deck: #OssiningPride Explores Pear Deck
  • An Argument Against Absolutism in EdTech: Is there always a best practice?

If you see reflection as crucial to what you do, don’t find time; schedule time.

You may feel like you have nothing to say, but you do have a story to tell.

10-productivity-tips

Source: George Couros



from Connected Principals http://ift.tt/2edxnjN

No comments:

Post a Comment